- Underpuff is a Kirby X Undertale Crossover AU created by pikachufan2222.
About the AU
Underpuff is set in an alternate timeline where a war broke out between Kirby's species, simply known as Puffs, and the other residents of Planet Popstar. It is in a sprite comic format, and strictly only uses the Kirby Video Games as the source of its canon.
Long ago, the Planet Popstar was covered in many inhabitants, with one group sticking out from the others, the Puffs. Puffs were a powerful race, with incredible, strength, durability, and endless versatility.
The other inhabitants feared the strength of the puffs, and as their numbers grew, so did this fear. Eventually, a war was declared upon the Puffs in an attempt to quell their numbers and wipe them off the planet. However, this crusade would be in vain, for the Puff Rebellion would be victorious. After their victory, they sealed the many creatures of Popstar into a Great Cave system, where they would pay for their crimes.
Time passes, and a young puff stumbles upon a hole in the ground. Inching closer to get a better look, they trip and fall into the depths below. Now, they must make the journey back home, meeting friend, foe, and deciding their fates. Can the Puff return to the surface world? Or shall they perish like the many before them? In a world with talking trees, and optimistic voices inside your head, anything is possible.
The Underground has been replaced with the Great Cave Offensive from Kirby Super Star. The Ruins is now the lush jungle of Sub Tree, Snowdin the pristine and bright Crystal, Waterfall the ancient Old Tower, and Hotland with the majestic Garden. The only exception to this rule is New Home, which is now the iconic Mt. Dedede.
- Frisk is replaced with the yellow Puff known as Keeby. Their motives for coming to Ice Cream Island is unknown.
- While other forms of Kirby media would refer to him as the star of the show, that phrase couldn't be any more wrong in Underpuff. Kirby takes a backseat as the narrator in the Chara role.
- Flowey is replaced with the iconic Kirby boss Whispy Woods. The snarky oak attempts to kill you in the first part of Underpuff, but fails. The similarities to Flowey's manipulation and cheap tactics are peculiar indeed.
- Toriel is replaced with the peppy painter from Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64, Adeleine, who also goes by the nickname Ado. Cheerful and snarky, she's an entertaining and creative individual to be around. But could she be hiding something more behind her cheerful demeanor?
- The duo of Clarence and Balldle is clearly not a healthy relationship. While Balldle is carried by Clarence due to his lack of limbs and spherical shape, the two have frequent bickering, yelling (Mostly from Balldle), and much more, and don't seem to have much fun in the slightest. Despite this, they are both making an effort to obtain Keeby's soul together, whether it be through surprise ambush, or other forms of trickery, the two will stop at nothing to obtain the Puff's soul. Balldle also has a notable hatred towards Adeleine for reasons unknown.
- Sans is replaced by Meta Knight, the calm spoken and honorable warrior. Despite his title, he is not affiliated with the Royal Guard. His very presence almost seems out of place.
- The Papyrus role was previously held by Knuckle Joe, but it has been announced that he is being replaced for a far more fitting placement. Who they may be is yet to be revealed.
- Dedede takes the place of Asgore's role. All that is currently known is he started the war against the Puffs.
Underpuff was originally much less of what it currently is. Originally made entirely on the Wii U software Pixel Maker, and uploaded to imgur via a very roundabout method through Miiverse, and having been pikachufan2222's first major art and writing endeavor, Underpuff was awful on the eyes, and even worse on the writing, doing very little to differentiate from base Undertale. Underpuff's Preboot had seven parts, and an intro before becoming the current Reboot. Characters placements remained the same with the exception of Lololo and Lalala, who were confirmed replaced, and Knuckle Joe, who was replaced part way through the Reboot's run.
- Underpuff's origins lay in a shitpost with Meta Knight edited over Mettaton's sprite on the Undertale subreddit. Back when it was going to be called Underdee and have Waddle Dees as Puffs. Needless to say it didn't work out that way.
- As Underpuff only uses game canon for lore, characters such as Escargoon, Tiff, Tuff, etc. do not make an appearance in the AU.
- This also means that anime personalities are done away with too. So characters like Meta Knight would act more like their game counterpart instead of their anime one. This also means things such as Dedede with a strong Southern Drawl are not canon as well.